These buttermilk dinner rolls may just become your new favorite dinner roll to make with dinner. They are big and fluffy, and the buttermilk adds a little tang. Pair them with the cinnamon honey butter and you will be in HEAVEN.
Buttermilk Dinner Rolls Key Ingredients
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk, like milk, lends fat which makes the bread soft and tender but the acidity and cultures add that lovely tang.
- Bread Flour – Bread flour is going to help give your bread more structure and chew. You can make these with all purpose, but bread flour is my first choice/suggestion.
- Sugar – Just a little sugar helps these rolls get a little more brown than without. Additionally it will help your bread rise a little faster and also tenderizes the gluten.
- 480 g Bread flour 4 cups
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tbsp Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Instant yeast
- 1¼ cup Buttermilk warm
- 1 large Egg room temperature
- 3 tbsp Unsalted butter softened
- 1 tbsp Buttermilk
Cinnamon Honey Butter
- ¼ cup Salted butter softened
- 2½ tbsp Powdered sugar
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with dough hook attached, combine flour, salt, sugar, instant yeast, 1¼ cup buttermilk, egg, and 3 tbsp softened butter. Mix on low/low-med until dough is smooth and no longer sticking to the sides. For me this took about 12-15 minutes.
- Cover bowl and allow to rise in a warm spot for 60-90 minutes or until dough has doubled in size.
- Line a 9×13" pan with parchment paper.
- When dough is ready, punch down and remove from bowl to work space. Divide dough into 12 equal portions.
- Take a portion of dough and pull the sides to the middle, pinching together to form a dough ball. Place seam side down on the counter, cup hand loosely over the dough and move hand in a circular motion, creating tension in the dough. Place dough into prepared pan and repeat.
- Cover your pan and allow your rolls to proof for 30-45 minutes, until they have grown in size and puffed up.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F
- When rolls are ready to go into the oven, take the remaining 1 tbsp buttermilk and brush the tops of the rolls.
- Place your pan on the center rack of your oven and bake for about 25 minutes. Your rolls should be a light to medium golden brown on top when ready.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. Store rolls in an airtight container and enjoy within 3 days.
- Optional While rolls are cooling, in a small bowl add softened unsalted butter, cinnamon, and powdered sugar. Using a hand mixer with whisk attachment, whip for about 1 minute until the ingredients have combined and butter is light and fluffy.