Have you ever had a malt from an ice cream shop? If you haven’t they are generally thicker than milkshakes and have a certain flavor added. It’s malted milk. It has a flavor that’s hard to describe but you’d know it once you’ve tasted it. It’s slightly nutty and sweet, adding creaminess and almost a heft to whatever you’re using it in. I created these rainbow malted milk blondies to recreate that vanilla/chocolate malt flavor but within a different kind of dessert.
I tested these blondies quite a few times. I adapted them from my Oreo Blondies and figured it would be a pretty simple transition. I was wrong. The malted milk changes things other than flavor so I had to play with bake times, ratios and ingredients to get them to the right consistency. I have made these without the chocolate bits inside and they are good, but I preferred with the bits of chocolate. However, this recipe will work without them if you do not like chocolate.
If you’re looking for another malted milk recipe, I’d also recommend:
Rainbow Malted Milk Blondies Key Ingredients
- Malted Milk Powder – Malted milk powder is your star ingredient. I usually use the Carnation brand which can be found near like powdered creamers in the coffee aisle at my grocery store. I know there are different brands available at places like King Arthur though.
- Rainbow Chocolate Sprinkles – Now, I used these specific sprinkles which are Wilton “rainbow chip crunch” sprinkles. They look like little round sprinkles but are actually chocolate. If you can’t find these I would use mini m&m’s.
- Dark Brown Sugar – Dark brown sugar is going to be key for the caramelly flavor in blondies. I wouldn’t substitute light brown even though it will work in a baking science way.
- 112 g Unsalted butter ½ cup
- 2 tbsp Neutral oil
- 150 g Dark brown sugar ¾ cup
- 50 g Granulated sugar ¼ cup
- 2 large Eggs room temperature
- 75 g Malted milk powder ⅔ cup
- ¾ tsp Sea salt
- ¼ tsp Baking powder
- 180 g AP Flour
- 100 g Chocolate Rainbow Sprinkles ½ cup
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line an 8×8" pan with parchment, set aside.
- In a small-medium bowl, measure out flour and add salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a medium-large bowl, melt butter and add oil, brown sugar and granulated sugar. Mix with spatula until combined.
- Add eggs and mix until eggs are fully incorporated.
- Add malted milk powder and mix into wet ingredients completely.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and stir until just combined, not overmixing.
- Pour in your chocolate sprinkles and mix throughout batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing out into one even layer.
- Bake blondies on center rack of oven for 28-30 minutes. Blondies will be done when the top of blondies are set. Mine were still almost completely underdone at 25 minutes, and done at 30, so at the 26 min mark keep a close eye on them.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan completely, which might take several hours.