As a kid, I never ate Fruity Pebbles. I was a peanut butter Captain Crunch kid and sometimes Lucky Charms. I remember seeing the box around though as my sister loved the fruity cereals. Who knows why I never tried them, I was a weird kid who loved salad and I remember wanting to try Grape Nuts. Really? Who knows. However, Fruity Pebbles are naturally gluten and wheat free (they are essentially fruity Rice Krispies), which I discovered looking for cereals for my son who is allergic to wheat and oats – among other things. So I decided to try making some rainbow Rice Krispies treats both in a traditional manner and an allergen friendly.
If you want to make these more allergen friendly, simply swap out the regular butter for your favorite plant butter. I did not attempt to brown the plant butter, so I don’t know if that will work.
Using standard ingredients, these taste like a fruity version of the Rice Krispies treats you loved as a kid. Albeit slightly better, as we are using my Rice Krispies treats recipe that uses vanilla, browned butter and a little salt to make the flavors a little more nuanced. If you like the idea of these I’d also recommend:
Rice Krispies treats are very easy to make! Perfect for summer as you don’t need the oven, only the stovetop. Start to finish it only takes about 10 minutes, and you’re eating these sweet squares in under an hour!
Rainbow Rice Krispies Treats Key Ingredients
- Fruity Pebbles – Fruity pebbles are the star of the show. Yes, they are artificially flavored and sweet but they will be nostalgic and delicious.
- Rice Krispies – So these aren’t overwhelmingly sweet, we add some regular rice cereal to add balance and texture.
- Brown Butter – Brown butter honestly makes everything taste better. It adds some depth to the flavors and these marshmallow squares become addictive. People won’t be able to stop eating them and they probably won’t be able to place why they taste extra special.
- 6 tbsp Unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp Sea salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 340 g Marshmallows 12 oz bag
- 45 g Mini Marshmallows 1 cup
- 180 g Fruity Pebbles cereal 5 cups
- 50 g Rice Krispies cereal 2 cups
- Measure out your cereals and mix them together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Measure out your additional cup of mini marshmallows, set aside.
- Line a 8-9 inch pan with parchment. Lightly spray with cooking spray if not non-stick.
- In a large pot, melt your butter. Continue cooking butter until is browned, stirring until the milk solids have browned and the butter smells nutty. Browning the butter is optional, but recommended. If you have never browned butter I recommend doing this in a stainless or light color bottomed pan so you can see the change in the butter from yellow to golden brown.
- As soon as butter has reached optimal browned level, add 12 oz of marshmallows, and vanilla extract. Stir over medium low for about 1 minute, until marshmallows have melted.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cereal.
- Once cereal has been mostly mixed into marshmallow, pour in additional cup of marshmallows. This will create bites with marshmallow pockets or chunks.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan, use butter wrapper to press into the pan.
- Let treats cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting, allowing them to set.
- Cut into 16 squares, store in an airtight container. Enjoy!