No knead bread is the best! Any bread you don’t have to knead is great in my opinion because it’s so easy. It’s like those old commercials (maybe they were infomercials), set it and forget it! Just mix it and forget it.. for 24 hours haha. This white-wheat dutch oven bread is no different. Mix the five ingredients and then cover it and leave it alone for a day.
If you’ve never made dutch oven bread you’re in for a treat. It’s baked 75% of it’s baking time with the lid on. This creates steam which produces that lovely crispy crust on the exterior. Then the last bit of baking you open the lid so the bread can get a beautiful golden brown color.
Another great thing about this bread is it only has FIVE ingredients:
- White flour – You can use either all purpose or bread flour
- Wheat flour – Using a small amount of wheat flour is going to give this bread a little bit more complex flavor than simply using all white flour.
- Instant yeast – Active dry can be used, but should be activated with the water before adding.
- Salt – Adds flavor
- Water – The glue that gets all your ingredients playing together. I like a slightly higher hydration rate to give the dough a more airy crumb.
Now, you probably could make this bread with less time but it would have a lot less flavor. The same goes for using only white flour. I made this dough when I woke up and the next morning baked it. If you are trying to make it for dinner, I would make the dough before you start your dinner prep, and then make it the next afternoon before you make dinner. Then it’s ready to be on your dinner table after you’ve cooked.
All the work is in the time, hands on time is about 5 minutes or less. I promise you won’t be disappointed!
- 360 g AP or Bread flour 3 cups
- 90 g Whole Wheat flour ¾ cup
- 2¼ tsp Instant yeast
- 1½ cup Warm water
- 2 tsp Salt
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-large bowl and mix into shaggy dough with dough whisk or wooden spoon.
- Cover dough and leave on countertop for 18-24 hours.
- About 1 hour before baking, prehead oven to 450°F, place dutch oven with lid in oven while oven preheats.
- After dutch oven has been in preheated oven for 30-60 minutes, lightly flour a piece of parchment and transfer dough from bowl to parchment.
- Dough will be somewhat loose, fold in edges towards center creating tension in dough. Dough will not form a tight ball, and will flatten out a little.
- Carefully remove dutch oven from oven, and place bread on parchment inside dutch oven, replacing the lid before putting back in oven.
- Bake for 30 min. After 30 min, remove lid of dutch oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes until crust of bread is a deep golden brown.
- Carefully remove bread from dutch oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before cutting into bread.
Pingback:Bread Baking 101